Right in the city centre: when the first stand of the Philips Stadium was erected in 1916, there was no such place as Eindhoven. It wasn’t until four years later that Greater Eindhoven, which today has a population of 200,000, was formed from five neighbouring municipalities – and subsequently ballooned, also around the stadium. By the 1980s, the arena was in urgent need of refurbishing; however, it was impossible to demolish it by blasting because it was much too close to residential areas. The upshot was that, starting in 1988, the stadium was revamped and rebuilt piece by piece during the Dutch Football League’s annual summer break. It took a total of fourteen years to complete.
Eindhoven now has a modern, six-storey stadium complex with changing rooms, offices and conference rooms on the south side. A promenade was constructed in the shadow of the new main stand while the smart glass façade conceals the first business boxes to be installed anywhere in the Netherlands. Nowadays, the arena holds 35,000 spectators and houses three top restaurants, including one exquisite establishment with Michelin stars.